Hey everyone! So this week, I got to make a cake for one of my favorite people… my nephew is turning 4! He is such a “boy” and loves action movies and especially Transformers! So naturally, he had to have a Transformers cake for his birthday party. I can’t wait to bring it to him!
The Bumblebee figure- I purchased. I looked at countless photo’s to see if I could simplify it enough to try and model one… but it just wouldn’t look as cool! If I had 2 weeks to work on just the figure, I might have been able to do it… but with my busy schedule, it just wasn’t happening. Besides, now he’ll have a toy to play with after the party. Besides, since this was not a “for sale” cake, and I purchased the toy I think I’m safe with any copyright issues.
Besides the toy, everything else (besides the wires in the stars and the straws in the cake- wires should not touch cake), is edible/fondant. I added disco dust to the black on the stars to make it a little sparkly.
I tried to make the top of the cake look like torn metal, like Bumblebee had just ripped through the top of the cake… I actually patted myself on the back on this one! I put a small circle of black fondant down on top of the cake before I rolled out/covered with the yellow fondant. Then, when I rolled out the yellow fondant, I added a small circle of black fondant to the underside and rolled it in… I dusted the black circle (already attached to the cake) with cornstarch so it wouldn’t stick. Covered my cake as normal, making sure the black fondant I rolled to the underside of the yellow was appropriately placed… then after my fondant was smoothed, etc… I poked a small hole with a knife, and used my small scissors to cute back the fondant and make small cuts to make it look jagged. Then just shaped it a little. Voila, instant torn metal and no seems! I sprayed the black fondant with pearl spray (Americolor airbrush color) to make it look metallic. I impressed myself with the effect!
I cut the Autobot logo out of black fondant, and also sprayed those with the pearl spray. I though it would look cool to make it metallic instead of just flat black. It was tricky getting the pieces sprayed and on the cake with the color drying enough to handle and the black not so dry it would crack. I think it worked out OK, I got a few finger prints in a few spots, but brushed them to make it kind of look like beat-up metal. *I used piping gel for the writing, I didn’t feel like mixing up a batch of royal icing (what I typically would use) just for the small amount I needed. The gel bled a little overnight in the fridge… oh, well… you live and you learn!
Overall, I am thrilled with this cake. I think it looks really cool… and even though I strayed from my mission to use only edible pieces on my cakes (for the sake of the toy), I think my nephew is going to be beyond happy with it!
Happy Caking 🙂